ITS America Best of ITS Awards program is highly competitive and recognizes the most innovative projects and influential achievements in the high-tech transportation community. The Best of ITS Awards recognizes organizations whose projects have demonstrated specific and measurable outcomes and exemplified innovation by establishing a “new dimension” of performance. ODOT was recognized as a winner during the Opening Plenary session at the 25th ITS America Annual Meeting & Exposition, Monday, June 1, 2015 at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
The project’s ATM components include:
- Advisory speed signs that change based on current traffic and weather conditions
- Traveler information signs that alert drivers to crashes, congestion, road conditions, closures and other traffic-related information
- Travel time signs that display estimated travel times to key destinations
- An adaptive ramp metering system that adjusts rates based on traffic conditions
- A queue warning system that warns drivers of stopped or slowed vehicles ahead